Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Old Wrap Up

I just knew that Jape was bad news! Why in the world would Davy take up with him? Although I do appreciate that he didn't want to leave his "daughter" with him.

Did you guys enjoy it? Did anyone read it? I don't even mind if no one else read it, because this gave me a good excuse to have a little fun reading this month.

I thinks it's interesting that both Jape and Davy are murderers, but Davy comes off relatively sympathetic and like a vigilante fighting for the greater good. Jape, on the other hand, seems like a creepy disgusting man who may just be symbolic of the devil himself.

I know that in some ways this book didn't provide a lot of closure with respect to the plot (how could Jape just get away with that!), but I feel like I got closure knowing that these kids were going to be cared for by Roxanna. I know that Jeremiah enjoyed a night with his whole family before he died. I know that Sara, another motherless child like Roxanna and the Land kids, but without the guidance and love of a caring father, finds love and acceptance. And I guess I got some closure knowing that Davy continues to roam free. And of course that Sunny Sundown finds peace.

Although my husband will only refer to this book as "Pee in a River" (clearly he is not a member of the Finer Things Book Club, because no one appreciating the finer things would be so crude) I do think it was a wonderful example of finding peace during turmoil.

If anyone had the chance to read it, let me know what you thought.

No comments: