Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Are we on the same page?

Okay, maybe not exactly, but is anyone else reading this one? I just finished the book last night (library due date is today), and have to say I rather enjoyed it. For now, we can just discuss Part 1 though. I don't want to throw off any schedules or anything.

I feel like this book is dripping with symbolism that I'm not necessarily picking up on, so if any of you have some insights, I'm looking forward to reading them. I have noticed a lot of vision/sight symbolism. Maybe some of us can relate to Orual in many ways, like when she starts to veil her face and eventually "the Queen of Glome had more and more a part of me and Orual less and less." Are there parts of our lives that we try to hide from the sight of others, even ourselves, because they are too painful (you obviously don't have to be specific, but I think this is worthy of some introspection)?

Also, have any of us felt the anguish of Orual through the "loss" of a loved one whom we feel is "blind" to things we feel can see?

I have a couple of other questions I've had on my mind that I'll post later. I do feel like Lewis shows compassion and sympathy in these hard realities he's exploring in the novel. I'm glad to have read it. For any of you who are reading this one, I sure hope you're enjoying it!

3 comments:

Abby said...

I finally got my copy in the mail this week. I'm not very far in but I'm enjoying it. I agree about the symbolism thing -- so much going on that I'm not completely getting. I like those kinds of books, though, because it makes it worth a second reading.

Shana said...

I think that I am trying to hard to catch the symbolism, knowing it is there and all... I think that sometimes it doesn't really come to you until the end or at least the climax. At least I am hoping, but the good news is at least it is entertaining and curious enough to keep reading.

Lindy said...

I'll have you know that I'm at my parents for the summer, and in the three closest libraries I can't find an available copy! How embarrassing!