Friday, February 15, 2008

Halfway Point

I hope everyone is enjoying the book. I know I am, but it also makes me sad at times, and I was hoping to bring some light reading to the list...sorry.

Anyway, I'm stealing from Abby's last comment: Does everyone agree that empathy is at the heart of the novel? I certainly think Nafisi's novel draws on empathy. A powerful moment for me (and one that has stuck with me since reading it) was when Nafisi says that her students' generation is different from her own because while her generation suffered a loss, the girls of her students' generation have no past and a "sense of longing for the ordinary, taken-for-granted aspects of life" ...like the ability to wear pink socks. Sitting at my desk at work, it is hard to imagine going through life with so little control ...and so few of the little, silly things that can make the bad days bearable (like pink socks).

Anyone else have one of those "lightbulb moments," as the inimitable Dean Levmore would say???

6 comments:

Abby said...

I think one of the lightbulb moments for me -- and this is probably going to seem silly but I'm going to say it anyway -- was in Nafisi's discussion of Jane Austen, when she says that Austen's novels are structured like a 19th century dance, with the characters moving in and out -- toward each other and away again. I thought that was so amazing. I feel like I need to go back and read the novels again with that in mind.

Lindy said...

I'll admit that I'm only on page sixty, but I am really enjoying this book. I wouldn't say that I've had a lightbulb moment, but I am so happy to wear whatever color socks that I want. I'm also happy that I wasn't married off at nine. Sometimes I just can't believe the things that go on in the world every single day.

Lily said...

Why do I always find myself a step behind in reading and commenting? No, wait, don't answer that.

I couldn't decide whether to post this comment here or in the last post, but the "why do we read fiction" question keeps popping in my head.

One of my lightbulb moments (and I can't pinpoint where it hit me) was a part where Nafisi was talking about empathy (yes, definitely a strong theme). I realized that one of the reasons I read fiction is to be able to empathize with other people's stories, but also because it helps me to articulate my own. I find myself to be a very emotional creature (just ask Mr. Mott), and it is so validating to find something I have felt expressed on a page. I love it.

I came across this John Steinbeck quote: "We are lonesome animals. We spend all our life trying to be less lonesome. One of our ancient methods is to tell a story, begging the listener to say--and to feel--'Yes, that's the way it is, or at least that's the way I feel it. You're not as alone as you thought.'"

Thanks for a great pick, Tracy. I'm not done yet, but am really enjoying this one.

Three cheers for literature!

Tracy said...

Lily, when I read your post I realize that's exactly how I feel too. There's nothing better than being immersed in a book and reading words that are exactly what you want to express yourself, whether it's what you have already felt or what you are hoping to feel. Maybe that's why I love Jane Austen so much.

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy said...

At first I was going to post again and apoligize for getting so sappy, but then I realized that us sappy readers are the only ones left trying to finish this book so who cares:)